I’ve noticed my posts are getting less and less systematic as we move along, and the “step by step” moniker doesn’t really apply anymore. But I will continue to post updates as we move towards the finish line. There are lots of exciting things happening both inside and outside the house, and the end is within sight!
Last week the appliances arrived. Unfortunately, we weren’t quite ready for them, so right now they are sitting around in various rooms keeping out of the way. But I love looking at them!
The range hood, cooktop, and upper wall oven (an oven/microwave combo unit) are still in their boxes until the electrician can come and put the outlets in. The refrigerator sustained damage in the truck and had to be taken back, but that was okay because it saved us having to move it around. When the delivery guys come back with a replacement, we can have them do the installation as well.
The appliance delivery really brings home the “rags to riches” nature of this move for our family. Our little mobile home is in such shambles and, as mentioned in the captions above, half of my appliances have packed it in. Moving into the new house will mean so much more than just extra space and nicer finishes – it will really be a whole new lifestyle for us, one that I am desperately looking forward to! From organization to maintaining a clean home, eating home-cooked meals together, not spending all day in the kitchen, and having the kids able to help (autism and chaos don’t work well together)…it’s a dream come true, and I am so very grateful and thankful for this new home!
This week the countertops were put in, which was also very exciting. I’m very happy with the colour I chose: it’s really hard to figure out what huge swaths of countertop will look like when you only have small samples to go from, but it turned out just as I’d hoped. It didn’t take them very long to do the install, but unfortunately they will have to come back for the breakfast bar. It’s totally my fault: they told me weeks ago when they came to measure that we would have to provide the supports, and I completely forgot about it until the night before they came to do the install. I made a quick run to Home Depot that morning, but what I brought back wasn’t strong enough. Instead, our lovely neighbour (who has a huge workshop with machine shop and welding materials) will make us some custom metal brackets to support the 12″ overhang of the breakfast bar.
Speaking of the master bathroom, the tiling job is now complete. I’m super happy with how it turned out, but I will be choosing a different paint colour for the walls in here, as I don’t like how it makes the off-white tiles look dingy.
In a previous post, I showed a photo of the interior windowsill mockup. All the windowsills are now in. First they were glued and clamped into place, then the little strip along the underside was attached. I’m super happy with how these turned out, and the wood matches the window trim perfectly, as if they all came as one unit (this is what happens when your builder is also a carpenter: he makes sure we get the best quality wood!).
In other news, the laundry room door was hung last week: I chose a barn-door style so that I could maximize the usable space in the laundry room. I will likely have this door open most of the time, but it easily slides closed if I need to.
This week the wood was delivered for the vaulted ceilings and floors. These boards were milled from raw lumber that we had milled on site when we first moved here. The trees were taken down to create a field next to the mobile home for my veggie garden and for our meat birds. Now that same field is the house site and back yard. It’s really neat knowing that these boards come from trees that were growing right here on this property!
The U-shaped area of the kitchen is getting panels put around the outside to match the cabinets. Here are some photos before the framing is put on (it will have shaker-style framing).
And last (but most definitely not least!) work began on the siding last week. First they are putting up the boards, then the battens will be placed over the seams. Here are some shots of the work in progress:
The finish line is in sight now: only a few more weeks left until we’re done! As the end draws near, I am getting more and more excited. Soon it will be time to start sorting and packing – moving to just next door should make this a bit easier, I hope!