Since I last wrote, the vaulted ceilings have been finished in tongue-and-groove Douglas Fir planks that were milled from our own trees, as has the floor in the master bedroom and walk-in closet. The baseboards and trim are all in; the plumbers finished installing the taps, faucets, toilets, and shower heads; and the custom glass shower enclosure has been installed in the master bathroom along with pre-made shower doors for the other two bathrooms. The breakfast bar section of the countertop was installed, and the electricians have begun putting in the outlets and pendant lamps.
The wood ceilings went in pretty quickly, given they had to work around several holes for lights, smoke detectors, a ceiling fan, and a skylight.
After the ceiling in the master bedroom was done, the flooring guys came and worked their magic. First, the fir planks were laid down…
Next, any variations in the surface were filled with wood filler.
Then the floor was sanded to remove the excess filler and produce a smooth surface.
The dust was vaccummed up…
And finally, two coats of finish were applied. We chose SAICOS hardwax oil, because it leaves a natural finish to the flooring, penetrates deep into the wood, and is ecologically friendly.
The rich, red undertones of the fir are absolutely beautiful, and my whole bedroom glows with a warmth of colour that I absolutely love!
The master bathroom is just about finished: the tiles are all done and the glass shower enclosure has been installed.
However, I am changing the paint colour on the walls. I didn’t like how the off-white paint brought out the creamy undertones of the tiles, making them look dingy and not the warm off-white I was hoping for. I have to give a big shout out to Kylie of Kylie M Interiors. She gave me an online paint consultation and suggested Benjamin Moore’s Revere Pewter, a half-tint of that same colour (if I wanted something lighter), or Benjamin Moore Classic Grey if I wanted something even more low contrast. I ended up choosing full-strength Revere Pewter. It’s a lovely warm grey that won’t make an already-dark room feel colder, and it brings out the white undertones of the tiles, making them seem brighter. The grey also complements the titanium Schluter trim around the tiles, and goes with the flooring. The wood baseboards and trim around the door will be in Classic Grey, which was the perfect complement to the Revere Pewter.
I cannot wait to take a shower in here – the rainhead looks so inviting!
Moving on, the baseboards are also finished. Our design was a bit tricky because, if you recall from my earlier posts, our concrete slab is surrounded on all sides (except the top, of course!) by rigid foam insulation. So the sides were exposed along the perimeter edge of the slab, and we had to come up with a way to hide that. I didn’t want thick, complex baseboards, so after a few trials and errors we came up with using strips of galvalume – the same material as our roof, gutters, downspouts, soffit vents, and even my exterior sconce lights! I think they look very nice, and the raw-looking material works well against the concrete flooring.
The baseboard heaters were installed. The ones in the kids’ bedrooms ended up being too long to fit their beds against the wall, so I had them replaced with shorter ones. It’s doubtful that they will be used much, since we have a good heating system and a well-insulated home (and my kids never seem to feel the cold), but it’s so inexpensive to put them during a build that you might as well just in case. I, however, do feel the cold and just may use this on a particularly chilly winter night!
Things in the kitchen are slowing moving forward. The cabinet guy wanted to wait until the flooring folks were out of his way before putting in the doors and drawers. In retrospect, I wish he’d done that earlier because now the shelves are coated with dust. But the whole house will need a good cleaning before we move in (our builder has a cleaning team for that!), so it will get done.
I mentioned last time that the countertop guys couldn’t install the breakfast bar because the supports I bought were too flimsy. Our lovely neighbour is a talented maker, and used his machine shop to make us some skookum supports – these are a solid 1/4 inch of steel, and will have no trouble supporting the weight of the quartz counter.
And here’s the installed breakfast bar….
With the ceilings finished and all the dirty, dust-generating work complete, it was time for a big cleanup. And although they are still a bit dusty, I’m so happy to see my beautiful polished concrete floors!
This week the electricians are installing the lights (ceiling, pendant, vanity, and pot lights), the electrical outlets, and the ceiling fan. And work has moved back outside to the siding and deck.
In my next post I will tell you what it took to get rid of our old, decrepit mobile home, which is being demolished in 4 days! We’ll have to store our stuff for a few days (we brought in another shipping container for that) and stay with my mother until the new house is ready. The painters are coming back this Monday to finish the walls, and to do the trim, windows, and doors and we can’t move in until it’s all dry. But at least we now have a move-in date!
Saturday, September 24th!!!! I cannot wait!!!